Medicare Announces HCPCS Code Updates for 2010
Three wheelchair codes are discontinued as of Jan. 1
- By Laurie Watanabe
- Jan 12, 2010
Among the HCPCS code changes for 2010 are three discontinued wheelchair codes and three new urological supplies codes.
The three discontinued wheelchair codes are as follows:
• E2223, Manual wheelchair accessory, valve, any type, replacement only, each (discontinued code with no crosswalk code).
• E2393, Power wheelchair accessory, valve for pneumatic tire tube, any type, replacement only, each (discontinued code with no crosswalk code).
• E2399, Power wheelchair accessory, not otherwise classified interface, including all related electronics and any type of mounting hardware (discontinued code; crosswalk code to K0108).
The following three urological supplies codes have been added:
• A4336, Incontinence supply, urethral insert, any type, each.
• A4360, Disposable external urethral clamp or compression device, with pad and/or pouch, each. Note: noncovered.
• A4456, Adhesive remover, wipes, any type, each.
The urological supplies code A4365 - Adhesive remover wipes, any type, per 50 - has been discontinued and should be crosswalked to code A4456.
There's a new bariatric-targeted patient lift code: E1036 for Multi-positional patient transfer system, extra-wide, with integrated seat, operated by caregiver, patient weight capacity greater than 300 lbs.
There's also a new code for Thoracic rib belt: L0210.
A listserv message said the new codes are effective for dates of service on or after Jan. 1, 2010.
"Codes or modifiers that are discontinued/deleted will continue to be valid for claims with dates of service on or before Dec. 31, 2009," the listserv message added, "regardless of the date of claim submission. The crosswalked codes are also 'added' codes effective for dates of service on or after Jan. 1, 2010. There is no grace period that would allow submission of the discontinued code for dates of service in 2010."
Laurie Watanabe is the editor of Mobility Management. She can be reached at (949) 265-1573 or email@example.com.