NHIC Issues 2010 HCPCS Codes Reminders
- By Laurie Watanabe
- Mar 30, 2010
NHIC Corp., the Jurisdiction A DME MAC, has issued reminders about discontinued HCPCS codes, as well as new code narratives and new crosswalk codes for a variety of DME.
Unless otherwise stated, the new codes and modifiers as well as crosswalk codes went into effect for dates of service on or after Jan. 1, 2010. Codes that have been discontinued or deleted are still valid for dates of service on or prior to Dec. 31, 2009.
The HCPCS codes changes include the following:
- Effective April 1, 2009: E1340 was discontinued as the code for "Repair or non-routine service for DME requiring the skill of a technician, labor component, per 15 minutes." The discontinued code must be crosswalked to code K0739 or K0740.
- The new code E1036 is defined as "Multi-positional patient transfer system, extra-wide, with integrated seat, operated by caregiver, patient weight capacity greater than 300 lbs."
- The new narrative for code E1035 is "Multi-positional patient transfer system, with integrated seat, operated by caregiver, patient weight capacity up to and including 300 lbs."
- Codes E2223 ("Manual wheelchair accessory, valve, any type, replacement only, each") and E2393 ("Power wheelchair accessory, valve for pneumatic tire tube, any type, replacement only, each") have been discontinued. There are no crosswalk codes.
- Code E2399 ("Power wheelchair accessory, not otherwise classified interface, including all related electronics and any type mounting hardware") must now be crosswalked to code K0108.
- New modifier J4 is defined as "DMEPOS item subject to DMEPOS competitive bidding program that is furnished by a hospital upon discharge."
Laurie Watanabe is the editor of Mobility Management. She can be reached at email@example.com.