eMobility Products & Technology: NSM Edition
Spirit APS Car Seat Provides Positioning Alternative for Kids on the Go
Mobility Management spoke with Sue Johnson, director of education for Columbia Medical, about the Spirit Adjustable Positioning System (APS) Car Seat.
Q: What type of client will benefit most from this new car seat?
A: The Spirit Adjustable Positioning System (APS) Car Seat from Columbia Medical (www.columbiamedical.com) is ideal for children who need to sit in a car seat because of age, weight, behavioral or postural conditions and who cannot safely sit in a commercial car seat. The Spirit provides the protection of a five-point harness at higher weights than commercial car seats and allows for a reclined seating position to aid in postural control.
It also has comprehensive positioning supports available that are comparable to a complex rehab wheelchair. These may improve the child's sitting posture in order for him/her to receive adequate fit and protection from the occupant restraint system (harness) of the car seat.
Q: Briefly describe the Spirit APS Car Seat's main features and benefits. How is it different than other car seats currently on the market?
A: The Spirit APS Car Seat:
- Is the ONLY car seat that offers optional swing-away hip and trunk supports that are independently adjustable.
- Is the ONLY special needs car seat that offers optional memory foam seat/back insert for pressure reduction and added support.
- Features a new, sleeker, low-profile design to make transfers easier for the user/parent/caregiver.
- Features an open shell design that provides more room for varying shoulder and seated leg widths.
- Will accommodate users between 25 and 130 lbs. and up to 66 inches in height.
- Features a five-point harness system for optimum user safety.
- Features soft-padded headwings that come standard.
- Is lightweight and weighs only 20 lbs. (without swing-away supports).
Q: How have you made this product/service "provider friendly"?
A: There are several provider-friendly factors to be aware of:
- Funding-friendly pricing.
- Easy-to-use order forms.
- Parts are priced separately to allow for easy ordering of custom configurations.