Are You Eligible to Take the SMS Exam?
Unlike RESNA’s broader Assistive Technology Professional (ATP) certification, the organization’s Seating & Mobility Specialist (SMS) certification is designed to identify professionals who truly focus on the seating & mobility niche. That distinction is demonstrated in the pre-requisites a candidate needs to qualify to take the exam:
- Active ATP certification.
- At least 1,000 hours of “direct, in-person consumer service delivery experience in seating & mobility” in your career.
- Participation in at least two of seven professional service categories (Continuing Education Units; presentations/formal instruction; mentoring/supervision; client service delivery; advocacy; leadership; or publications) in the past five years. CRTS certification through NRRTS fulfills one of the two activity requirements.
- Exam fee payment: $250 (or $125 for a retest within one calendar year of the previous exam). You’ll also need to fill out an SMS application:
- Contact information, plus a section related to the Prometric computer-based testing format, including any special accommodations needed.
- Education & experience: Current licenses, registrations and certifications; primary seating & mobility roles and professional settings; education; years of experience in assistive technology.
- Work experience: Descriptions of professional duties in the seating & mobility niche.
- Good Moral Character affirmation.
- Professional activities categories and descriptions. The application itself has a list of exam periods and application deadlines so you can plan accordingly.
This article originally appeared in the March 2014 issue of Mobility Management.