Mobility Management spoke with Sue Johnson, director of education for Columbia Medical, about the Spirit Adjustable Positioning System (APS) Car Seat.
Q: What type of client will benefit most from this new car seat?
A: The Spirit Adjustable Positioning System (APS) Car Seat from Columbia Medical (www.columbiamedical.com) is ideal for children who need to sit in a car seat because of age, weight, behavioral or postural conditions and who cannot safely sit in a commercial car seat. The Spirit provides the protection of a five-point harness at higher weights than commercial car seats and allows for a reclined seating position to aid in postural control.
It also has comprehensive positioning supports available that are comparable to a complex rehab wheelchair. These may improve the child’s sitting posture in order for him/her to receive adequate fit and protection from the occupant restraint system (harness) of the car seat.
Q: Briefly describe the Spirit APS Car Seat’s main features and benefits. How is it different than other car seats currently on the market?
A: The Spirit APS Car Seat:
- Is the ONLY car seat that offers optional swing-away hip and trunk supports that are independently adjustable.
- Is the ONLY special needs car seat that offers optional memory foam seat/back insert for pressure reduction and added support.
- Features a new, sleeker, low-profile design to make transfers easier for the user/parent/caregiver.
- Features an open shell design that provides more room for varying shoulder and seated leg widths.
- Will accommodate users between 25 and 130 lbs. and up to 66 inches in height.
- Features a five-point harness system for optimum user safety.
- Features soft-padded headwings that come standard.
- Is lightweight and weighs only 20 lbs. (without swing-away supports).
Q: How have you made this product/service “provider friendly”?
A: There are several provider-friendly factors to be aware of:
- Funding-friendly pricing.
- Easy-to-use order forms.
- Parts are priced separately to allow for easy ordering of custom configurations.